Warning – Spoiler alert on The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. If you are not interested in spending four hours reading this book then continue reading! In Marie’s book we learn a good deal about the psychology of things. She provides a definite mind switch for the organization layperson. I have provided the top five highlights of the book and hope it will inspire you to take the time to read this life changing book!
- Tidying a little a day and you’ll be tidying forever. One of the key components to adopt the proper mindset is to tidy up in one shot, not a little here and there.
- Storage Experts are Hoarders. ”Putting things away creates the illusion that the clutter problem has been solved.”
- Discard and Decide where to store things. Discard first and store later! Deciding what to keep is more important than deciding what to get rid of.
- Organize by Category. When you do your one shot of tidying up make sure to start with one category at a time. For instance gather all of your clothes, no matter what room they are in and bring them all together on the floor to sort.
- “The question of what you want to own is actually the question of how you want to live your life.”
I enjoyed reading this book about organization and highly recommend reading this book since it is from a professional tidying up consultant. Take it from Laura’s recommendation on Amazon,”Reading this book was life-changing.”