Remodeling can be time consuming and costly, but with the right contractor and proceeding thoughtfully can make a world’s difference. The following six tips have the current and even the future homeowner in mind.
- Take advantage of incentives. Consider upgrading equipment in the home for hefty savings or getting rid of your lawn for a rebate from your state/city.
- Be mindful of the home you remodel. Instead of building a new home start with an existing structure to create less waste. Also, choosing a home that is at the scale you need instead of a larger home. Recommended reading: The Not So Big House by Sarah Susanka.
- Know where to put the construction waste. Donating to an organization like Habitat for Humanity is good or you can find a construction waste management firm to recycle your waste.
- Buy local. Reduce that carbon footprint! Why buy bamboo flooring from China when you can buy it from California?
- Salvage. Also local, Heritage Salvage in Petaluma, is the place to go for recycled materials.
- Use quality materials when remodeling. When you are remodeling and are looking to sell, the new home owners are less likely to remodel if you use quality materials. Not only this, but you’ll also love the results.
Thank you for reading this article, let’s keep in touch on Facebook where we share other relevant information.